Wednesday, October 21, 2009

13.1

i started training for this past weekend's half-marathon in august. i trained all throughout august & september and tapered in october like scheduled. i feel healthier and more accomplished. i mean, its okay to have this neat feeling of accomplishment. i put in this effort & i get this result. boom. cause & effect. this helps my engineer and formulaic side of myself make sense of life.

---

lynnette, kaitlyn, meredith & i set sail on friday night for kansas city from columbia. on the drive, we debated and discussed who was the least healthiest/trained for the race. all the while stopping at quiktrip to ensure that we were all on level playing field the night before. diet cokes and taquitos, chips, & other things that are generally not-not-healthy were consumed in justification of "resuming normal eating habits." i usually have a diet coke, 3 cups of coffee, and 2 nalgene's a day.
7924_528452955048_116702142_31342537_5456147_n

lynnette had a great idea to preoccupy our minds/hearts/souls/brains during the race. for each mile, write down a name/group of people to be praying for while we ran for that mile. it worked out so great and really felt pretty content while running. not focusing on my stride, my steps, or little things in front of me that usually distract me & my groove.

7924_528452960038_116702142_31342538_3532766_npre-race photo at 6:00am. nope, i'm not going to sorority recruitment. or confused that tights constitute as actual pants, but am wearing my uggs pre-race to ensure my toes are not oppressed anymore than they are everyday through shoes. knowing i would have to wear blasted shoes & socks for under 2 hours.

7924_528452965028_116702142_31342539_3481639_npost-race photo at like 9:40isham. kaitlyn (on the far right) vom'd during the race & still finished. she's a D1 athlete, so that was no sweat. i would have marked it as a loss if anything besides sweat or pee came from my body at an unexpected time during the race. notice: im clutching my iphone like a little boy returning home from camp without his blanket because his mother wouldn't let him take it with him to camp because of other kids making fun of him. after the race, i enjoyed my free boulevard stout beer. :)

Picture 1however, i didn't actually run as myself though. i ran as someone else. (i don't know how illegal that is, probably a liability) but that one goes down in the books for emmy. i forgot to register & emmy got sick.  overall, i ran a 1:47:40. my goal was under 2 hours & i done did it. :) i plan on running the st. louis half-marathon in april & beating that time.

No comments:

Post a Comment