Monday, August 16, 2010

summer window display // anthropologie



this was my first project at anthropologie as visual display intern. when i signed up for the internship, i was informed that i would be doing a lot of tedious & monotonous work.
flashback: unpaid labor for doing arts & craft that was going to be on display and then tore down. this sounds familiar... a lot like pledgeship during homecoming. minus the hazing & alcohol. however, this unpaid labor was for school credit and not for some greek society.

i thought, okay, that sounds fine to me. i would be learning lots of new crafts & skills, and maybe even bring some of my own handiwork to the table. did i know i was going to be doing basket-weaving? did i know how to do that before? no. the only thing i knew about basket-weaving and baskets was that my mother, a midwestern middle-class suburban stay-at-home mom, loved longaberger baskets.





as i got the hang of making this basket-woven tepee-like structures, i became more comfortable with trying out different ways to maneuver the reeds. i had to use my iphone to snag this shot.

so, why not intersect this two.

these displays for the summer are now gone. i tore them down with tears that i never shed in undergraduate upon my first art project, because after all, this was my first art project for school credit.

5 comments:

  1. Oh wow, that's amazing! I've actually always loved Anthro's displays, and it's great to see the behind-the-scenes of it!

    I actually just randomly came by your post/blog because I was Google-ing the Display Intern position for Anthro. Now that you've had this experience, what did you think? I would love to get involved in something like this, but want to see if I'm up for it first.

    Thanks!

    Vivian

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you so much!

    i truly had a blast working with the display coordinator, visual manager, and staff at anthropologie. each store is unique and each store has the option to pursue the "theme" with their own touch & vision.
    i did it for school credit as an internship and a special readings course. and as far as i know, they only take interns that are for school credit.

    it's a lot of work, lots of tedious and monotonous work at times, but other times it's challenging, fun and exciting. i would for sure do it if you love creating things and bringing LOTS of fresh ideas to the table. i wasn't even an art major by any means and i loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's fantastic! Did you actually get a say on what the displays would look like? As in, did you get to decide on making the woven-teepees, how they would look/be arranged? It would be amazing to work on a creative team like that.

    How did you find the hours - as in, how many hours per week? Were they flexible on when you could come in?

    Sorry, I'm asking so many questions. But this is just so cool! I really hope my school lets me do this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. just sent you an email with all the details. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Could you let me know what your hours were for the internship! I have an interview in a week and I was just wondering! (alliopo@yahoo.com)

    ReplyDelete